Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then... they came for me... And by that time there was no one left to speak up."
-Martin Niemöller

This was quoted during the Holocaust. Look at what happended because no one spoke up. That fear of an evil power caused many to remain silent because of what that evil power would do. The result is something too horrific to even think about. The silent majority will always be overpowered by the loud minority. Fear is understandable. Everyone fears, but the strength to overcome that fear is very powerful. The events of the Holocaust were terrible, but they need to be remembered. That is the best way we can reverence those who were made victims of its terribleness.

1 comment:

  1. Allison, I love the quote and I love your comments about it. This seems like it was a powerful experience for everyone who went here! Thanks for sharing....

    Mrs. Scott

    ReplyDelete